Best Hairstyles to Conceal Hair Loss — Does A Hair Loss Hairstyle Actually Work?
Hair loss can be hard to deal with whether you’re a man or a woman, but it is a very common issue. Losing your hair can knock your confidence and make you feel self-conscious in social situations.
Luckily, there are hairstyles out there that can help conceal your hair loss. Discover the very best hairstyles for hair loss here with The Treatment Rooms London.
Causes of hair loss
Hair loss is a common issue that affects millions of people worldwide. While some hair loss is a natural part of the ageing process, there are many other factors that can cause hair loss.
One of the most common causes of hair loss is genetics. This is also known as androgenetic alopecia, which is a hereditary condition that can lead to permanent hair loss. In men, this type of hair loss typically results in a receding hairline and baldness on the crown of the head, while women tend to experience thinning hair across the entire scalp.
As we age, our hair naturally thins and becomes less dense. This is because our hair follicles shrink over time, which can lead to reduced hair growth. Age-related hair loss occurs in both men and women, but men tend to experience it at a faster rate because of their increased levels of dihydrotestosterone, which causes the hair follicles to shrink.
Stress is another common cause of hair loss. When we are stressed, our bodies produce the ‘stress hormone’ cortisol, which damages the hair follicles and leads to hair loss. This type of hair loss can be temporary, and your hair growth can resume once you are no longer stressed and your cortisol levels have reduced.
Several health conditions can lead to hair loss, including thyroid disorders, autoimmune disorders and scalp infections. Certain medications (such as chemotherapy drugs, blood thinners and antidepressants) can also cause hair loss as a side effect.
Nutritional deficiencies, particularly in iron, zinc and biotin, may even lead to hair loss too This is because these nutrients are essential for healthy hair growth.
Hairstyles for thinning hair
If you have thinning hair, there are several hairstyles that can help to create the illusion of fuller, thicker hair. Here are some of the best hairstyles for thinning hair:
- Short layers – having short, cropped hair with lots of layers can add texture to your hair. When styling, be sure to use clay or putty-type products so that the hair doesn’t stick to your head, as this can make it look thinner.
- Fringes – having a fringe means you pull the hair forward towards the front of your face, which can work wonders at hiding any thinning near your crown or hairline.
- Slicked-back – although having your hair weighed down with products can make it look thinner, slicking it back or to the side can help to conceal your hair loss if you do it correctly.
- Layered cut – a layered cut can help create volume and dimension. Layers can be customised to your face shape and hair type.
- Lob cut – a lob cut is where the hair is cut so that it falls just below the shoulders, giving the hair length without weighing it down, as this makes it look thinner. This creates the illusion of fullness and thickness.
- Side-swept bangs – a side-swept fringe can help create the illusion of volume at the front of the hairline. It can be paired with any medium-length haircut to add depth and dimension.
- Low bun – a low bun can create the illusion of volume and thickness by pulling the hair back from the face. This style can be customised with plaits or twists for added texture.
- Half-up, half-down – A half-up, half-down style can add volume as it pulls the top section of hair back from the face. This style can be paired with loose curls or waves for added texture or a more relaxed look.
- Top knot – A top knot involves twisting the hair into a bun on the top of the head. This style can give you more volume and the illusion of thickness by adding height to the crown.
There are many hairstyles that can help conceal thinning hair. Experimenting with different styles can help you find the perfect look to suit your needs and preferences appropriate to your specific hair loss.
Haircuts to hide hair loss
You don’t just have to rely on hairstyles to conceal your hair loss. There are many different haircut options that can help give you the look you want.
- Pixie cut – a pixie cut is a great option for people with thinning hair. The short layers and choppy texture create the illusion of volume and thickness.
- Bob cut – a bob cut can be tailored to suit your individual face shape and hair type. The shorter length can make hair look thicker and fuller.
- Layered haircuts – these can be a great option as they can add volume and texture. The layers can be cut in a way that helps to hide any thinning areas and create the illusion of fuller hair.
- Buzz cuts – if you’re experiencing significant hair loss, a buzz cut can be a bold and empowering option. This haircut involves cutting the hair very short or even shaving it completely, which minimises the appearance of hair loss and creates a clean, streamlined look.
- Comb-overs – a comb-over is a classic hairstyle that involves combing the hair to one side or over a bald spot. While it can be a controversial choice, a well-executed comb-over can be an excellent option to conceal hair loss.
- Undercuts – an undercut involves shaving or cutting the sides and back of the hair very short while leaving the top longer. This style creates a contrast that draws attention away from thinner areas, making the hair look fuller and thicker on top.
- Textured crop – a textured crop is a short, layered haircut where the hair is cut in a way that creates a messy, tousled look. This style can add volume and texture to the hair.
- Faux hawk – A faux hawk is a versatile haircut in which the sides of the hair are short while leaving the top longer and styled upward. This style can create the appearance of fuller hair on top, which can help to hide hair loss around the crown of the head.
Hair care tips for concealing hair loss
When trying to conceal hair loss, it is important to take care of your hair to promote healthy growth and maintain the appearance of fuller, thicker hair.
Here are some top tips for caring for your hair when dealing with hair loss:
- Use volumising products – using volumising products like mousses and sprays can add volume and thickness to your hair, making it appear fuller. Look for products that are specifically designed for thinning hair or that contain ingredients like biotin or keratin, to help strengthen and nourish the hair.
- Avoid harsh chemicals – harsh chemicals like bleach and hair dyes can damage the hair and increase hair loss. If you must colour your hair, choose gentle, ammonia-free dyes and avoid over-processing your hair. It is also important to avoid heat styling tools like flat irons and curling wands, as these can damage the hair and make it more prone to breakage and thinning.
- Maintain a healthy diet – Eating a balanced diet that is rich in vitamins and minerals like iron, biotin and zinc can help to promote healthy hair growth and prevent hair loss. Foods like leafy greens, eggs and nuts are all great sources of these nutrients and can help to keep your hair healthy and strong.
- Use a gentle shampoo – Using a gentle, sulphate-free shampoo can help to protect your hair and scalp from damage and irritation. Look for shampoos that are created for thinning hair or that contain nourishing ingredients like argan oil or coconut oil, which can help to moisturise and strengthen your hair.
- Consider hair growth treatments – There are a variety of hair growth treatments available, including topical treatments like minoxidil and oral medications like finasteride, that can help to promote healthy hair growth and reduce hair loss. Consult with a hair loss specialist to determine which treatment options may be right for you.
Be patient and consistent in your hair care routine — it may take time to see results. But with the right care and attention, you can maintain the appearance of fuller, healthier hair and feel confident in your appearance.
Book a consultation with The Treatment Rooms London
Hair loss can be a frustrating and difficult condition to deal with, but there are many hairstyles and hair care tips that can help conceal hair loss and promote healthy regrowth.
From layered haircuts and buzz cuts to volumising products and a healthy diet, there are many ways to care for your hair and maintain the appearance of fuller, thicker hair.
If you are struggling with hair loss and would like more information on how you can restore your lost hair with a hair transplant, book a consultation with us at The Treatment Rooms London.
Our team of hair loss specialists can provide personalised recommendations and help you find the best treatment options for your needs. Don’t let hair loss hold you back; reach out to us today.
Book A Consultation